E alu like mai kākou, e nā ‘ōiwi o Hawai‘i
Let Us Work Together, Natives of Hawai‘i

Follow Us


Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program

Individual taxpayers and families may need assistance from time to time with filing federal and state income tax returns, and to be certain that they are receiving all of the appropriate credits and deductions available to them.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free tax help for low-to moderate-income people who cannot prepare their own federal or state tax returns. IRS trained and certified individuals help prepare basic income tax returns to qualified individuals.

They can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they may qualify such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Items you need to bring to have your tax returns prepared

It is imperative that you bring all of the following documents with you to your appointment. Failure to do so can result in your taxes not being completed and filed.

  • Valid Photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Military ID, Passport, Student ID)
  • Original Social Security Card for you, your spouse and all dependents or a letter from the Social Security office verifying your SSN and those whose cards you do not have. If you are planning to file Married Filing Separately, please note you will still need the Social Security Number of your spouse on your tax return.
  • Verification of birth dates for anyone listed on the tax return (State ID, Driver’s License, Birth Certificate for children).
  • Copy of your previous year’s Federal and State income tax returns (if available and complete).
  • Income documentation: W-2 Forms from all jobs worked in the tax year. All 1099 forms you may have received
  • Bank Routing Transit Number and bank account number for direct deposit of your refund. Bring either a blank check or verification from the bank of the transit number for your savings account and/or checking account.

Other Documents to Bring If They Pertain to You

  • Child care expenses/receipts, including the provider’s name, address, federal ID tax number and state of Hawaii tax ID number or social security number of the care giver (You must have the federal and state tax ID number or social security number to claim the child & dependent care expenses credit).
  • If renting, total amount of rent or letter, landlord’s name, address and Hawaii State Tax number.
  • Unemployment benefits verification (1099-G).
  • Social Security benefits statement (SSA-1099).
  • Mortgage statements, property tax bills (for homeowners).
  • College tuition, award letters, student loan interest statement (1098-T).
  • Alimony paid or received.
  • Adoption expenses.
  • Prizes, awards, lottery/gambling winnings (W-2G forms).
  • Documentation of Union Dues Paid (provided by your union or last year-to-date paystub for the tax year).
  • Donations made (documentation from the agency/foundation who receive the donation and the amount of the donation).


Services provided by APPOINTMENT ONLY.

Please visit the following website for additional locations and appointment line phone numbers (these numbers change each year) .




2969 Mapunapuna Place, Suite 200
Honolulu, HI 96819