The Native Hawaiian Summer School Assistance Program (NHSSAP) is a collaboration between ALU LIKE, Inc. & Kamehameha Schools. This competitive program provides summer school funding assistance to qualified students currently in grades K – 12. Scholarships are available for students attending Summer School at both D.O.E. and private* schools statewide excluding all Kamehameha Schools Campuses.
*Members of the Hawai‘i Association of Independent Schools (www.hais.org), excluding Kamehameha Schools & private universities.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Students MUST be currently in grades K through 12
- Applications must show proof of financial eligibility.
- Awards are made on a first come, first served basis
- Preference is given to students of Hawaiian ancestry
- Only complete applications with all required documents will be considered for funding
- Documentation of student attendance & grades will be required
- Student’s birth certificate (REQUIRED for every applicant)
If student’s birth certificate doesn’t indicate Hawaiian ancestry, also provide ONE of the following:
- Kamehameha Schools Ho‘oulu Hawaiian Data Center Certification or Letter
- Birth certificate of a parent showing Hawaiian ancestry
- OHA Registration Card
- If necessary: Foster, Guardianship, Power of Attorney (POA), or Court Documents (See FAQ #13)
- Student’s Report Card (2nd or 3rd Quarter) (For grades 6-12 ONLY)
- Income Verification
All students need to submit ONE of the following documents to verify household income:
- Verification of Public Assistance (TANF and SNAP/Food Stamps) WITH Household listing
- Most recent Federal Tax Return
- Verification of Foster Care through certificates or letters
- Verification of Section 8 Housing
Information for Summer School Directors and Personnel ONLY
|File Name||Download Links*|
|2023 NHSSAP Introduction Letter and Instructions|
|2023 NHSSAP Poster|
|2023 NHSSAP Invoice Form & Grade/Attendance Forms||Excel|
|*Right mouse click the link and select “Save Target As.”
Follow prompts to save the file to your location, taking care to recognize where you saved the file.