The Native Hawaiian Summer School Assistance Program (NHSSAP) is a collaboration between ALU LIKE, Inc. & Kamehameha Schools. This competitive program provides summer school funding assistance to qualified students currently in grades K – 12. Scholarships are available for students attending Summer School at both D.O.E. and private* schools statewide excluding all Kamehameha Schools Campuses.
*Members of the Hawai‘i Association of Independent Schools (www.hais.org), excluding Kamehameha Schools & private universities.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Students MUST be currently in grades K through 12
- Applications must show proof of financial eligibility.
- Awards are made on a first come, first served basis
- Preference is given to students of Hawaiian ancestry
- Only complete applications with all required documents will be considered for funding
- Documentation of student attendance & grades will be required
- Student’s birth certificate (REQUIRED for every applicant)
If student’s birth certificate doesn’t indicate Hawaiian ancestry, also provide ONE of the following:
- Kamehameha Schools Ho‘oulu Hawaiian Data Center Certification or Letter
- Birth certificate of a parent showing Hawaiian ancestry
- OHA Registration Card
- If necessary: Foster, Guardianship, Power of Attorney (POA), or Court Documents (See FAQ #13)
- Student’s Report Card (2nd or 3rd Quarter) (For grades 6-12 ONLY)
- Income Verification
All students need to submit ONE of the following documents to verify household income:
- Verification of Public Assistance (TANF and SNAP/Food Stamps) WITH Household listing
- Most recent Federal Tax Return
- Verification of Foster Care through certificates or letters
- Verification of Section 8 Housing
Information for Summer School Directors and Personnel ONLY
|File Name||Download Links*|
|2023 NHSSAP Introduction Letter and Instructions|
|2023 NHSSAP Poster|
|2023 NHSSAP Invoice Form & Grade/Attendance Forms||Excel|
|*Right mouse click the link and select “Save Target As.”
Follow prompts to save the file to your location, taking care to recognize where you saved the file.
Native Hawaiian Summer School Assistance Program (NHSSAP)
ALU LIKE, Inc., Kā Ipu Kā‘eo Department
Telephone: (808) 535-6700 | Email: NHSSAP@alulike.org