The Native Hawaiian Summer School Assistance Program (NHSSAP) is a collaboration between ALU LIKE, Inc. & Kamehameha Schools. This competitive program provides summer school funding assistance to qualified students currently in grades K – 12. Scholarships are available for students attending Summer School at both D.O.E. and private* schools statewide excluding all Kamehameha Schools Campuses.
*Members of the Hawai‘i Association of Independent Schools (www.hais.org), excluding Kamehameha Schools & private universities.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Students MUST be currently in grades K through 12
- Applications must show proof of financial eligibility.
Family Size Total Income Not to Exceed 1 $ 21,202.00 2 $ 34,737.00 3 $ 47,686.00 4 $ 58,871.00 5 $ 69,471.00 6 $ 81,254.00 7 $ 93,037.00 8 $ 104,820.00 9 $ 116,603.00 10 $ 128,386.00 11 $ 140,169.00 12+ ADD $ 11,783.00 FOR EACH ADDITIONAL PERSON
- Awards are made on a first come, first served basis
- Preference is given to students of Hawaiian ancestry
- Only complete applications with all required documents will be considered for funding
- Documentation of student attendance & grades will be required
- Copy* of student’s birth certificate (REQUIRED for every applicant)
If student’s birth certificate doesn’t indicate Hawaiian ancestry, also provide ONE of the following:
- Copy* of Kamehameha Schools Ho‘oulu Hawaiian Data Center Certification or Letter
- Copy* of birth certificate of parent showing Hawaiian ancestry
- Copy* of OHA Registration Card
- If necessary: Foster, Guardianship, Power of Attorney (POA), or Court Documents (See FAQ #13)
- Student’s Report Card (2nd or 3rd Quarter) (For grades 6-12 ONLY)
- Income Verification
All students need to submit ONE of the following documents to verify household income:
- Verification of Public Assistance (TANF and SNAP/Food Stamps) WITH Household listing
- Most recent Federal Tax Return
- Verification of Foster Care through certificates or letters
- Verification of Section 8 Housing
- WE WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT PARTICIPATION IN THE USDA FREE & REDUCED-PRICED MEALS PROGRAM AS VERIFICATION
Information for Summer School Directors and Personnel ONLY
|File Name||Download Links*|
|2022 NHSSAP Introduction Letter and Instructions|
|2022 NHSSAP Poster|
|2022 NHSSAP Invoice Form & Grade/Attendance Forms||Excel|
|*Right mouse click the link and select “Save Target As.”
Follow prompts to save the file to your location, taking care to recognize where you saved the file.